Saturday, January 15, 2011

Saturday, January 15

So in reading today's passages, Matthew 3-4, we see a closer glimpse of John the Baptist and Jesus.

First, in Matthew 3, we get this great view of John the Baptist. We see a man that is not like the rest. The clothes he wears are different. The food he eats is different. And he proclaimed boldly without fear. He didn't care what anyone thought of him...he had a message to share and that is what he did. And people listened and turned to God because of his willingness to be used.
I am always a bit convicted when I read of John because how often do I proclaim the gospel message without fear, without concern of what others might think. I look here in Matthew 3 and find a picture of a man that I wish I was more like.

Then at the end of Matthew 3 we see Jesus come to John and be baptized. The Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus. And then we turn to Matthew 4...

In Matthew 4 we see Jesus tempted. He was tempted three times by the devil and yet resisted. He stood firm in what he knew was right and of the Father. I can't help but recognize the importance of the Holy Spirit in leading us along our daily paths as we are tempted in life. Jesus was tempted and stood firm...we must attempt to stand firm too!

No comments:

Post a Comment