Friday, March 4, 2011

Isaiah 45 declares that Cyrus the Great, King of Persia, will one day destroy the Babylonian Empire. The uniqueness of this is that Cyrus does not exist yet. God is foretelling the future.
He declares what He will do through one who does not know Him. Hear the Lord...

"I call you by your name,
I name you, though you do not know me.
I am the Lord, and there is no other,
besides me there is no God;
I equip you, though you do not know me,
that people may know, from the rising of the sun
and from the west, that there is none besides me;
I am the Lord, and there is no other.
I form light and create darkness,
I make well-being and create calamity,
I am the Lord, who does all these things."

Isaiah continues to declare the fall of Babylon. King Nebuchadnezzar ruled Babylon for 43 years. Throughout his reign Babylon grew in greatness. Nebuchadnezzar honored the Lord Most High due to Daniel. After his death came three kings that did not honor the Lord Most High. Thus, just as God used Nebuchadnezzar to punish his people Israel, God used Cyrus to punish the Babylonians.

We must always remember that God is Sovereign over all things including history. He knows what is coming. He establishes His will over all history. Nothing surprises Him. Not the events in the Middle East nor the events in America. We must trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment