Saturday, April 9, 2011

Saturday, April 9

Today we read Mark 7-8 and as I read through one thing really jumped out at me that I thought I would share with you. In Mark 7:15-16 we read, "There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him." This is referring to the Pharisees following of all the laws, including the food laws. But I think it is interesting how much this can still pertain to us today, who don't follow the Old Testament Jewish food laws. We live in a society that focuses so much on food and health, and eat this not that. And I think that we often forget to really think about the things that are coming out from us. What does this mean exactly? I just had the discussion with some of our middle school students about our actions and lives reflecting whose we are. We must guard our hearts because the words we say and the things we do reflect what is in our hearts. Here Jesus is telling the people that what is more important than following the dietary laws is the way the people are living their lives. Were they a reflection of the God they claimed to follow? Are we a reflection of the God we claim to follow?

No comments:

Post a Comment